We reside in Mercedes, Texas, the Queen City of the Rio Grande Valley, located on U.S. Highway 83 in southeastern Hidalgo County. Mercedes is a very historical town settled by ranchers in the 1770s. It was part of the Llano Grande Spanish land grant issued on May 29, 1790 to Juan José Ynojosa de Ballí. During the 1850s it was the location of the Anacuitas Ranch owned by Ramon and Manuel Cavazos. The City of Mercedes was founded in 1907 and incorporated on March 8, 1909.
Mercedes, Texas is approximately 45 minutes from South Padre Island to the east and 25 minutes to McAllen, Texas to the west. It is about 8 miles from Mexico to the south. Our ranch "El Rancho Las Escobas" is in Starr County about 90 miles west of Mercedes.
History of Mercedes, Texas